About Me

My photo
I work as a teacher, poet and spiritual director at a number of institutions in the DC area. My teaching focuses in various ways on writing, poetry, Spirituality and Christian vocation and ministry - especially from the point of view of the laity. I also offer classes and retreats encouraging people to explore their inner lives, engage their creativity and reflect on their beliefs about God, vocation, and how we can discern and pursue new ways to transform our broken world. I enjoy speaking of faith in the secular academy as well as reminding those preparing for ministry in the Church that our primary purpose is to love and serve the world beyond the church's doors. I love helping people to grow in faith and to find their own voices, and I also love encouraging them to use their minds. I see no contradiction between these impulses, believing as I do that faith, reason and creativity work together.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Contemplative Writing

I forgot to cross-reference my blog earlier this month on Episcopal Cafe called "A Lenten Discipline for Word People." It grows out of the class I'm currently teaching - and loving - on Contemplative Writing.

It may be that I've been blogging a little less because I've been scribbling in my journal a little more -- there is something about pen-on-paper that seems more "embodied" to me than working at a computer keyboard. But there are always things that come out of the journaling that turn out to be worth sharing. So stay tuned. And meanwhile, you can read more here, if you haven't already, about this spiritual practice that I call "contemplative writing" - to distinguish it from both journaling and "creative writing." Link

1 comment:

  1. I find the structure of a dialogue with God, following Ira Progoff's model, works for me, though I do understand it is different from what you are describing. The back and forth structure allows two separate strands of thought to occur, interact and flow.

    Of course, I am very cautious about assuming that the actual words I write are what God is thinking or saying. But there is often a very different point of view being expressed than my own, often narrow focus.

    ReplyDelete