About Me

My photo
I work as a teacher, poet and spiritual director at a number of institutions in the DC area. My teaching focuses in various ways on writing, poetry, Spirituality and Christian vocation and ministry - especially from the point of view of the laity. I also offer classes and retreats encouraging people to explore their inner lives, engage their creativity and reflect on their beliefs about God, vocation, and how we can discern and pursue new ways to transform our broken world. I enjoy speaking of faith in the secular academy as well as reminding those preparing for ministry in the Church that our primary purpose is to love and serve the world beyond the church's doors. I love helping people to grow in faith and to find their own voices, and I also love encouraging them to use their minds. I see no contradiction between these impulses, believing as I do that faith, reason and creativity work together.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Resources for Vocational Discernment - especially for Young Adults


I received a grant earlier this year from the Episcopal Evangelical Education Society (EES) to do some work with Young Adult groups around discernment -- helping people explore the meaning and purpose of their lives, using practices of prayer and guided questions and meditations about their lives. I'm trying to assemble these resources into a form that will work for people. I'd love it if readers of this blog -- especially the young adults, but everyone, really, could give me some feedback on these materials. I'm developing a new site at Discerning Your Way in Life -- a second "poetproph" page. With the help of a friend who leads the Young Adult Group at St. Mark's, Capitol Hill in DC, I've also put some of these resources up on a wetpaint site. You can find that here I have very mixed feelings about the platform, but would appreciate it if people could take a look and let me know what you think of some of the materials and interactive things (especially videos) collected there -- haven't figured out how to migrate the videos to a "blogspot" framework.

You can tell if you've followed these postings that the practice of discernment has been very important to me in my writing and teaching. Feedback would be very welcome if anyone feels like weighing in. How might I present/package/offer these materials in ways that would be useful to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment