About Me

My photo
I work as a teacher, poet and spiritual director at a number of institutions in the DC area. My teaching focuses in various ways on writing, poetry, Spirituality and Christian vocation and ministry - especially from the point of view of the laity. I also offer classes and retreats encouraging people to explore their inner lives, engage their creativity and reflect on their beliefs about God, vocation, and how we can discern and pursue new ways to transform our broken world. I enjoy speaking of faith in the secular academy as well as reminding those preparing for ministry in the Church that our primary purpose is to love and serve the world beyond the church's doors. I love helping people to grow in faith and to find their own voices, and I also love encouraging them to use their minds. I see no contradiction between these impulses, believing as I do that faith, reason and creativity work together.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

New Online Journal Devoted to the Work of David Jones


I'm delighted to announce the appearance of a special issue of the online journal Flashpoint, a journal of modernist literature, completely devoted to the work of the British artist and poet David Jones. I helped to edit this special issue, which includes most of the talks that were given last year about this time, at a conference that the Cathedral College of Washington National Cathedral sponsored entitled: "David Jones: Faith, Art and Poetry in a Post-Christian World". Jones has been a focus of my scholarly work for many years. My book on his work, At the Turn of a Civilisation: David Jones and Modern Poetry was published in 1994. Returning to his work after many years I find that Jones's poetry, which is demanding and highly allusive, and his poetics - which are based in a sacramental Christianity -- were very influential for me, and I reflect on this in my own paper in this new online collection, called "The Sagging End and Chapter's Close: Revisiting a Long Conversation with David Jones's Poetry" -- might be of interest to some readers of this blog. My introduction to the special issue provides a map through the various papers, and I hope gives some feeling for the conference itself - there's more about the conference at a blog I set up last year for David Jones enthusiasts at DavidJonesArtistandpoet

No comments:

Post a Comment